Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Box-Logic: Geoffrey Sirc

“…Do we teach life or college?” Elbow, p. 113

This quote helped ground the importance of teaching and understanding the intricacies of new media. In a nutshell, it is not going away, it is something that students are going to have to use, assess and/or create as they move into their careers. I cannot recall a time where I have asked students to do an assignment in any of the formats that have been shown throughout this text and I know many of you as English 110/120 instructors have. I have, however, given students the freedom to create and turn in assignments that I would consider new media; even though, I feel I have not had the knowledge or tools to assign such an assignment prior to this course. Sirc invites us to push our students to the demands of our current culture and therefore to push ourselves as teachers to grasp and teach to life rather than to many rigid standards of what is considered scholarly work. He wants us to embrace and use a method that is “…suited to the long strange trip,” (p. 113). We no longer need to assess students solely within a standard essay format, but we are able to give students a chance to learn , teach, and present in a new way. A way that will most likely not only be enlightening, but in all probability marketable as they search for jobs within their chosen career paths.

Cody did an excellent job describing and defining logic boxes. Although I have not explicitly assigned a paper or presentation in new media format, I have had students hand in material that fits the criteria we have discussed in this course. Although this is not a crude example to me, perhaps some of you may feel it is. A student in my perspectives in women studies course turned in a three dimensional paper mache vagina made out of fake dollar bills and posted against advertisements and taglines from popular campaigns. She called it “Sexism Sells”.  And without many words, her meaning was clear, women’s bodies are used to make money, they are commodities and they are objects-not whole beings. She was able to take something she passionate about to create awareness by using a visual representation that seemed to impact the other course members in a way that a PowerPoint presentation couldn’t.  Although I did not think of it at the time, this I feel is a representation of new media and it conincides with Sirc’s Activity 1: A basic box on p. 129. I feel that this activity could easily be incorporated into women and gender studies courses both at a 100-level and beyond. Sirc writes, “The box theorists provide a way to think about composition as an interactive amalgam, mixing video, graphic, and audio with the verbal; a medium in which students can both archive their desires as well as publish passionate writing on their social reality vis-à-vis the larger culture…” (p.146). Boxes give students a chance to interact and move with the material and it provides a choice on how to use their voice and I love that. Choices in WGS are always a good thing.

Boxes have impacted me personally and I did not even know it. In 1994, my siblings (all 10-years or more older than me) introduced me to the band Pearl Jam and forever my life was changed (don’t laugh people!). In my mind, Pearl Jam is a perfect example of Sirc’s description of boxes. If you have never owned a PJ album on Vinyl, I would highly recommend it. Each album is packed with material that invokes the senses and makes you think (and feel). The creative process and choices used to write and perform are shown in various art, personal photographs and band members hand-written lyrics. Unfortunately their latest record’s webpage is no longer available, but it was an interactive smorgasbord of art, writing, and music.  Here is an example of how their album Vitology was packaged: http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1324

No comments:

Post a Comment